Even more delicious than it looks!
I got tired of Cheerios for breakfast. Need I say more? Oh yeah, I was perusing Pinterest (AGAIN) whilst eating said cereal. I came across an amazing recipe that included all of my favorite A.M. ingredients: fruit, oatmeal, brown sugar, and, of course, chocolate (this last one is not limited to breakfast foods only, but is rather a 24-7 staple of mine). It was, as the author said, quite easily customizable, and as such, I customized my own version that evening.
Here was my take on it:
-2 cups plain oatmeal
-1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
-1/2 tbs grated orange zest
-1 tsp of cinnamon
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 cup strawberries (sliced; mine were frozen and had to be defrosted first, but fresh is good too!)
-1/2 cup blueberries (these were frozen and defrosted too, but, again, fresh is good too!)
-1/4 cup milk-chocolate baking chips
-2 cups 2% milk
-3 tbs melted margarine
-2 tsp vanilla extract
-2 ripe bananas, cut into 1/2″ slices
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
2. Grease a 6″ x 12″ glass pan, WELL
3. Mix oats, brown sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, half of the strawberries and blueberries, and half of the chocolate chips. Add mixture directly to pan.
4. Arrange bananas, then remaining chocolate chips, strawberries and blueberries evenly across the top.
5. Whisk the egg, milk, melted margarine and vanilla extract together in a separate bowl. Pour mixture evenly over top of the stuff you’ve already got in your pan.
6. Gently shake the pan side-to-side until the liquid mixture soaks through to the bottom (since it’s a glass pan, it’s pretty easy to tell when you have successfully accomplished this)
7. Bake for about 1 hour (I’m not sure why, my version takes quite a while to cook, but it has an egg in it- so for food safety purposes I cooked it well)- or until the mixture is “set” (doesn’t wishy-wash around when you shimmy the pan…) and chocolate chips are melted- or until you think you are about to burn the thing… ;-D
Let cool and serve fresh. If you have leftovers, I find that they keep just fine in the fridge for a couple of days; cover with aluminum foil or something similar. Reheat uncovered for about a minute in the microwave, or try it cold (surprisingly tasty!). I have been topping mine off with chocolate syrup for an extra feel-good start to my morning!
Enjoy the awesomeness for breakfast!